The Buzz on Cannabis Butter: An Introduction to a Potent Edible
What is Cannabis Butter?
Cannabis butter, also known as cannabutter, is a popular ingredient widely used in the world of edibles. It is a combination of regular butter and cannabis, creating a potent infusion that can be incorporated into various recipes.
How is Cannabis Butter Made?
The process of making cannabis butter involves simmering cannabis flowers or leaves with butter on low heat for an extended period. This allows the cannabinoids, such as THC and CBD, to infuse into the butter, creating a psychoactive and therapeutic mixture.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup ground cannabis flowers or leaves
- Water (amount varies based on recipe)
- Decarboxylate the ground cannabis by spreading it on a baking sheet and heating it in the oven at 240°F (115°C) for 40-50 minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine the butter and enough water to prevent burning.
- Add the decarboxylated cannabis to the mixture and simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Once done, strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or fine-mesh strainer, separating the cannabis plant material from the infused butter.
- Allow the cannabis butter to cool, then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Uses of Cannabis Butter
Cannabis butter is a versatile ingredient and can be used in various recipes to infuse its effects into different dishes. Some popular uses include:
- Baking: Cannabis butter is often used in baking cookies, brownies, cakes, and other pastries.
- Cooking: It can be used as a substitute for regular butter or oil in savory dishes.
- Spreading: Some people enjoy spreading cannabis butter on toast, bagels, or pancakes for a potent breakfast treat.
Before trying cannabis butter, there are a few important points to keep in mind:
- Start with a low dose: Edibles can have a stronger and longer-lasting effect compared to smoking or vaping. Begin with a small amount and wait for at least an hour before consuming more.
- Label and store properly: Always keep cannabis butter away from children or pets, and clearly label it to prevent accidental ingestion.
- Know the laws: Be aware of the legal regulations regarding cannabis and edibles in your area before making or using cannabis butter.
Cannabis butter is a potent and versatile ingredient that can add an extra kick to your favorite recipes. Whether you’re seeking a relaxing experience or looking to infuse some therapeutic benefits into your meals, cannabis butter can be an exciting option worth exploring.